Talia’s Treats : Roast pumpkin & garlic soup w/ caramelized onion, mushroom and cheese pinwheel scones
I couldn’t think of a better recipe for this kind of weather, warm and hearty and absoloutely mouth-wateringly delicious! But doesn’t the title, ‘roast pumpkin and garlic soup with caramelized onion, mushroom and cheese pinwheel scones’ just say it all anyway? I sincerely hope this is something you get to enjoy this weekend!!
Recipe after the jump:
- Cut pumpkin into large chunks. Discard seeds. Cut garlic bulbs in half. Place on baking tray, drizzle with oil, roast 180C about 45mins or until pumpkin fully cooked (soft right through) – cooking time will vary in diff ovens. (NB. While the pumpkin is roasting start caramelizing the onions for your scones).
- Chop onion. Saute in 1 tbsp oil in large, heavy bottomed saucepan over med-high heat till soft. Add curry powder, nutmeg, sugar, stir through onion.
- Remove any blackened flesh on the roasted pumpkin as this will make the soup bitter. Scoop the pumpkin flesh into the pot, discarding the skins. Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves into the pot as well, again discarding the skins.
- Cover with chicken stock – approx 4 cups – simmer for 10-15mins, stirring occasionally. This will make quite a thick soup, if you prefer it runnier/thinner use more stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into blender, process till smooth. If you don’t have a blender, just mash it in the pot to break it down as much as you can (to combine the pumpkin with the onion and garlic), then press through a sieve. It is still good kinda chunky as well if you don’t want to go to the effort of putting it through the sieve.
- Serve with either a little cream or a dollop of sour cream
- On a well floured surface, roll into a rectangle, about 1cm thick. Spread margarine/butter over the scone
- Spread the caramelized onions and mushrooms over the scones. Cover with the grated cheese.
- Starting at the bottom of the dough, roll up to form a long log. Cut into even slices about an inch thick.
- Place on a greased baking sheet in a preheated oven on 180 C (Moderate oven). Bake for 10-15 minutes.